History

Wed
19
Mar

Tornado put an end to Mills prosperity

Mills school students are shown in this undated photo.
From The History of Freestone County Texas, Vol. 1

Mills was between State Highway 179 and Farm Road 1451 three miles south of Teague in west central Freestone County.
The settlement was granted a post office in 1880 with Thomas G. Blackmon as postmaster.
In 1884 Mills had two

 

To read the entire story, please log in or subscribe to the digital edition.

Thu
13
Mar
Edgar's picture

Dr. Bonner active in many phases of church, community

Dr. John Bonner and his brother William Bonner, along with their extended family, first came to Freestone County from Alabama in 1853.

Contributed photo

Bonnerville was a rural community located just northeast of Stewards Mill in the northern part of Freestone county.
Bonnerville was located at the modern intersection of County Road 126 and FM 833 near Cottonwood Creek.
It was referred to as Bonnerville due to many of the Bonner descendant residents that stayed around the family lands.
The family lands extended west towards the large Tehuacana Creek and southward down the smaller Cottonwood Creek.
Bonnerville was primarily only lands of the

 

To read the entire story, please log in or subscribe to the digital edition.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - History